Thursday, April 15, 2010

Yup, abscessy

So I went to my doc, and she said yes, it's an abscess. Which I spelled wrong in my previous post. I was a little distracted.
She said it's better that it opened and drained, because that is what her treatment would have been anyways. Yuck. And she gave me an Rx for antibx cream, and some oral antibx to keep the prescription on hand in case it does get worse rather than better with just the cream. Whew.
Then I asked her about my eye, because I have pink eye (I never had pink eye once in my life until I had kids and now I've had it three or four times in seven years. ROCK ON). So she gave me an Rx for drops for that, in case it doesn't go away in the next few days because it might be viral.
Then I asked her about my blood test results--BONUS to going in today, I get to discuss my results even though nothing came back glaringly off because they didn't call me; they call if results are off but not if they are fine, but this system is dumb because what if the fax got lost? Or no one read it? Or things are only slightly off? Anyways, a few weeks ago I went in and saw my Dr's locum, whom I like better than I like my doctor, btw, because my hair is falling out. I'm going bald. Did I mention that on here? I can't remember. Well, anyways I am. So I went to have my thyroid checked, and asked her to check for anemia and diabetes, also. I fasted, I went and got vampired, and then never heard anything so figured things must be normal. But BONUS, today I went in anyways so I got to talk to her about it.
She said my B12 (or B6? Can't remember) levels are good (they were over the top number of the average levels, I take a B vitamin). My thyroid is mid level, totally average. My RBCs are normal. My ferratin is normal. Good to know. My doc actually printed off my results and gave me a copy! So great! However, my fasting blood sugar was 0.2 above normal~not high enough to diagnose anything, but she said we should 'keep an eye on it,' and retest every year in case I develop Type II diabetes. She asked me about Gestational Diabetes, and I told her that I wasn't at risk in my first pregnancy so I wasn't tested (I was 24 and had no risk factors), and my second pregnancy I refused the test because of chronic yeast infections and not wanting to take the sugar bolus. I said my babies didn't look like GD babies, so if I did have it, it was well controlled. She told me GD is a pretty good predictor of Type II later in life, and dismissed my assessment of my babys' appearance and said, "You can't tell by looking at the baby." I tried to say, "No, you know, the uncontrolled GD babies have big abdomens and flabby fat," but she almost shook her head off its neck, "No, you can't tell that way."
But I know you can! There are distinguishing characteristics! I'm not stupid. But every time I go see her she makes me feel stupid. 99% of the visit is fine and good, but then she always gets her dig in, to ensure that I know she's the expert and I'm the dummy who can't be trusted with the direction of my own health care.
And of course she doesn't counsel me in how to AVOID Type II diabetes, she just tells me to come in and be retested once a year. WTF. Allopathic medicine chaps my ass. NO preventative medicine whatsoever. My doctor drives me crazy. I ALWAYS arrive apprehensive and leave frustrated, because of this tendency to put me down at some point during my visits. She's sorta friendly, and I feel she's compentent as an medical practitioner, and she and I seem to agree when antibiotics are needed and not needed, when bronchodilators are needed and not needed, and she gives pretty standard care compared to other physicians. She confirmed what her locum had said about my hair loss, that sometimes it is related to pregnancy and breastfeeding, and will stop when I finish having and feeding babies. And she said it should grow back. So that's good.
She did ASK how old my baby is, and how long I plan on breastfeeding. She didn't indicate she disapproved, nor approved. But the question itself is a judgement. Or maybe I'm just too sensitive.
So. Pros about my doc?
1. I have one.
2. She's female.
3. She does a standard job.
4. She sees me when it's critical.
5. She has a really nice locum.
6. She generally lets me do what I want with minimal fuss.

Cons about my doc?
1. She's chronically 30 to 60 minutes late.
2. She bills four times as much as your average doc in Langley (you can find their billings online)
3. She makes me feel stupid at least once during the majority of my visits.
4. She laughed at me once for asking if Ayden needed allergy testing when he was too young. You don't LAUGH at a concerned parent. You EDUCATE.
5. She told me "Some women just get them a lot," when I first developed chronic yeast infections and she had done some investigating and got to the end of her known treatments. Wow. That's helpful. Here I am, in pain and infected for the sixth time in four months, allergic to the OTC creams, and she's all [[shrugging shoulders]].
6. She has a tendency to hear of a published study or review and get stuck on those as the gospel truth. Medicine develops. Abnormal presentations happen.
7. She can be dismissive.
8. I don't really connect with her.


Sigh. Hunting for a doc who is taking patients in your own town in Canada is like hunting for a humble man in academia. It takes some doing. The task is so daunting that I put up with the riffraff.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

xo

Thanks for loving on me!! And mom, I didn't tell you because I figured you had enough breast lumps in your life in the last year. But if you want me to, I'll share in the future.

:)

6 comments:

Louise Chapman said...

Glad all is kind of okay. Especially glad your thyroid is okay, you don't want a wonky one! AND, i just wanted to let you know that when you get blood tests done, you can have them send the results to your home too! Just let them know and you'll get it in the mail a week later.

nancy said...

try researching lecithin (a food supplement) for breast lump, mastitis and abscess prevention.
love you
mom

Sara and family said...

I feel stupid and uneducation and ignored every time I leave my doctor but I'm in the same boat. I usually somewhat agree with her, she's not quick to pull out the prescription pad and I have her. Which in Victoria is a miracle. So there it is.

Ughhh. What I really hate is when different doctors contradict and then I'm supposed to figure out what the right thing is for my kids.

Super Ughhh!!!

ps. glad your abscessy. And tell me next time (which there will never be a next time). Booby bumps are my specialty and no one goes through anything alone in our family.
xox

Rachel Clear said...

I'm a little annoyed with your doctor. I don't like that she can make you feel that way, because imagine how she makes people feel who really ARE uneducated and take her word for the gospel truth. A bit scary.

I am glad, however, that things are working out with your boobs. Is this something I won't ever get since I have tiny boobs? I only ask because that would be a small consolation... :)

Hugs to you.

Asheya said...

Just tuning in now. Glad that your breast is okay, and wow, that is pretty freaky.

I totally understand the doctor thing, and I think it's funny when I read American style 'how to choose a good doctor' stuff because in Canada it's like, choice, what? Good luck finding someone who will even take you on as a patient. In Whitehorse the only drs taking new patients are all trained in Egypt and seem to be missing a few decades of information, especially when it comes to baby/breastfeeding care.

tamie said...

Hey Mel, I was wondering if you've ever given this doctor the feedback you did on this blog post. Like, have you ever said, "You know, when you talk to me like that it makes me feel like you're dismissing me, and that is very frustrating because I need to feel like you are really hearing me." Or whatever. I mean, what've you got to lose?

Anyway....geez. Yeah, I *hate* going to see doctors. I've had so few truly positive experiences. I think the best experiences I've ever had were at the poor people clinic in Flagstaff. I went there when I was poor, and man, they rocked. They took a lot of time for me, really treated me well, were totally open to non-drug treatment, never made me feel stupid, etc. It's true that you have to be willing to wait a while when you go there, and I suppose if I'd had a really full schedule (which has rarely been the case in my life) I might have been frustrated. On the other hand, because of my income I paid $25 each visit (this was *without* insurance)--which is totally unheard of in the States, if you don't have insurance. So, I was willing to wait! Besides, the waiting rooms were so interesting, what with all the other people roaming around!

Anyway--I hope that everything settles down physically soon. XO.