Saturday, January 31, 2009

Happy birthday, So You Think You Can Dance Canada, and The Reader

First order of business, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my dearest cousin Sara. Another year wiser! I love you, I miss you, and I wish you a year full of blessings, love, and family togetherness. I hope you had a wonderful birthday. I'm so glad I have you. xo

Last night I went to see the live tour of SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE CANADA!! Superfantastic! I went with two friends, and while we were there saw several more friends, and Brent's sister Cherilyn. We had kick ass seats. I lost my voice from screaming. I had SO. MUCH. FUN. I even left Riley with Brent for the evening. This was the longest I've been away from him (4 pm to 10:30 pm) and I know he doesn't like to take a bottle and he doesn't like to be apart from me in the evenings and at bedtime. It was a gamble. I knew Brent was up to the task, and he was generously happy to give me a night out with the girls----Riley slept for 1 hour, played for one hour, and then screamed blue murder for 2 hours before sucking back 3 ounces of pumped milk and reluctantly falling asleep.
Yikes.
I told Brent: don't call me (there's nothing I can do from Vancouver!), but tell me the truth when I get home. I texted him on the drive home: "How is he?" and I got back "We're good." Total lie. But like Brent said, "This is #3, I can totally handle it." And he did. Three cheers for awesome husbands who go the distance! Love him.

Though he just nagged me about a pile of cardboard and sheets and a bucket and other odds and ends in our laundry room. "You can't do this, Meliss! The dryer needs air." WTF? Why, I would like to ask, is this bothering you tonight, after 6 years of accumulation? Why is it my fault? And why, dear one, don't you clean it up yourself?
And this, my friends, is wedded bliss.

Anyways, Riley's suffering (tongue in cheek) aside, the show was awesome. Canada can DANCE, dudes. There were 11,000 people in GM place to see a DANCE show, people! AND we saw Twitch from the U.S. show in the audience during the break. He got slightly mobbed. Oh, it would suck to be famous. You couldn't go anywhere without being conspicuous.
Oh, it was fun.

Tonight I went with several girlfriends to a birthday party, then out for dinner, and then to a movie (with Riley this time). We had a blast this evening, too. Though I must say Riley is JUST on this side of being too old to go everywhere with me anymore. He's less portable, more intrusive. He has never been that great at sleeping anywhere outside of his own bedroom (a.k.a. our bedroom), but now he won't sleep with any noise or lights, and only rarely in the car. So running around like I did tonight interferes with his sleep needs and makes him crankier. And he's noisier. And he wants to play with everything at the table in the restaurant, and talk all the way through the movie!
Ah, babies.

Anyways, we saw The Reader and I must recommend it to everyone. VERY good movie, about a woman who was an SS guard at Auschwitz. A very contemplative movie with some difficult themes. No violence. Disturbing, though not like you would expect it to be. VERY good. Kate Winslet does an amazing performance. I am very glad I went.

Good night.
Sleep tight.
And if you have time, leave me a comment. I haven't heard much from you lately.

4 comments:

Louise and Gary Chapman said...

OH wow, So you think you can dance Canada! Did not even know they were here. Canada can def. dance. Fun stuff.

Louise and Gary Chapman said...

PS Ah, wedded bliss:)

Deb said...

How can you enjoy a movie and not be totally distracted by your kid? Aria would NOT let me sit through a whole movie! I have certainly missed going to them. Kudos for leaving Riley alone for that long - I still don't think I've left Aria for that long - moms need grown up time too - I'm working on figuring out how to do that!

Sara and family said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes. It was a fabulous birthday thanks to your amazing sister.

love you